Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science and Engineering
Dr. Hartwig received his Ph.D. in metallurgical engineering from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1977 and has been at Texas A&M since 1986. He received a Texas A&M Engineering Excellence Grant in 1987, and an Outstanding Graduate Teaching Award in 2008. His research interests include development of better materials (nanostructured, for low temperature use, superconductors, aluminum, normal electrical conductors, and advanced structural materials and consolidation of advanced particulates); structure-property-processing relationships; sever plastic deformation of materials via equal channel angular extrusion (ECAE); applied superconductivity (composite superconductor design)
- Ph.D. Metallugical Engineering University of Wisconsin, Madison 1977
- M.S. Nuclear Engineering University of Wisconsin-Madison 1970
- B.S. Nuclear Engineering University of Wisconsin-Madison 1969
Development of better materials (nanostructured, for low temperature use, superconductors, aluminum, normal electrical conductors, and advanced structural materials and consolidation of advanced particulates)
Sever plastic deformation of materials via equal channel angular extrusion (ECAE)
Applied superconductivity (composite superconductor design).
- C. Sun, J. Ma, Y. Yang, K.T. Hartwig, S.A. Maloy, H. Wang, and X. Zhang,“Temperature and Grain Size Dependent Plasticity Instability and Strain Rate Sensitivity or Ultrafine Grained Austenitic Fe-14Cr-16Ni Alloy,” Materials Science and Engineering A, 2014.
- C. Sun, D.W. Brown, B. Clausen, D.C. Foley, K.Y. Yu, Y. Chen, S.A. Maloy, K.T. Hartwig, H. Wang, and X. Zhang, “In Situ Neutron Diffraction Study on Temperature Dependent Deformation Mechanisms of Ultrafine Grained Austenitic Fe–14Cr–16Ni Alloy,” International Journal of Plasticity, 53: 125-134, 2014.
- M. Song, R. Zhu, D.C. Foley, C. Sun, K.T. Hartwig, and X. Zhang, “Enhancement of Strength and Ductility in Ultrafine-grained T91 Steel Through Thermomechanical Treatments,” Journal of Materials Science, 48: 7360-7373, 2013.
- M. Song, C. Sun, J. Jang, C.H. Han, T.K. Kim, K.T. Hartwig and X. Zhang, “Microstructure Refinement and Strengthening Mechanisms of a 12Cr ODS Steel Processed by ECAE,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 577: 247-256, 2013.
- S. Balachandran, R.C. Elwell, D. Kang, R.E. Barber, T.R. Bieler, and K.T. Hartwig, “Nb Tubes for Seamless SRF Cavities,” IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, 23(3), 2013.
- TEES Engineering Program Safety Excellence Award, 1997