Dr. Banerjee received his Ph.D. from the State University of New York at Stony Brook in 2004. In 2015, he received the Rosenhain Medal and Prize from the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining. He was also named an Emerging Investigator by the Royal Society of Chemistry Chemical Communications in 2015, and in 2012 was named on of the top 35 young innovators under the age of 35 by the MIT Technology Review. His research interests include solid-state and materials chemistry; nanoscale materials; electronic structure, chemical imagine and x-ray spectroscopy; thin films and coatings and light metals and nanocomposites.
- Ph.D. in Polymer Chemistry, Moscow State University, Russia, 1989
- B.S. in Polymer Science with award for excellence, Moscow State University, Russia, 1984
Solid-State and Materials Chemistry
- Nanoscale Materials
- Electronic Structure, Chemical Imaging, and X-ray Spectroscopy
- Thin Films and Coatings
- Light Metals and Nanocomposites
- Sean W. Depner, Nicholas D. Cultrara, Yueling Qin, Katie E. Farley, and Sarbajit Banerjee,* Ferroelastic Domain Organization and Precursor Control of Size in Solution-Grown Hafnium Dioxide Nanorods, ACS Nano 2014, 8, 4678-4688.
- Brian J. Schultz, Robert V. Dennis, Vincent Lee, and Sarbajit Banerjee,* An Electronic Structure Perspective of Graphene Interfaces, Nanoscale 2014, 6, 3444-3466 (invited Feature Article).
- Luis R. DeJesus, Robert V. Dennis, Sean W. Depner, Cherno Jaye, Daniel A. Fischer, and Sarbajit Banerjee,* Inside and Outside: X-ray Absorption Spectroscopy Mapping of Chemical Domains in Graphene Oxide. J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2013, 4, 3144?3151.
- Peter Marley, Adam A. Stabile, Chun Pui Kwan, Sujay Singh, G. Sambandamurthy,* and Sarbajit Banerjee,* Charge Disproportionation, Charge Ordering, and Voltage-Induced Metal-Insulator Transitions Evidenced in β-PbxV2O5 Nanowires, Advanced Functional Materials 2013, 23, 153-160.
- Lasantha T. Viyannalage, Vincent Lee, Robert V. Dennis, and Sarbajit Banerjee,* From Grignard’s Reagents to Well-Defined Mg Nanostructures: Distinctive Electrochemical and Solution Reduction Routes, Chem. Commun. 2012, 48, 5169-5171.
- Luisa Whittaker, Tai-Lung Wu, Adam Stabile, G. Sambandamurthy,* and Sarbajit Banerjee,* Single-Nanowire Raman Microprobe Studies of Doping-, Temperature-, and Voltage-Induced Metal-Insulator Transitions of WxV1-xO2 Nanowires, ACS Nano 2011, 5, 8861-8867.
- Brian J. Schultz, Christopher J. Patridge, Vincent Lee, Cherno Jaye, Patrick D. Lysaght, Casey Smith, Joel Barnett, Daniel A. Fischer, David Prendergast,* Sarbajit Banerjee,* Imaging Local Electronic Corrugations and Doped Regions in Graphene, Nature Commun., 2011, 2, 372/1-372/8.
- Kenneth R. Kort and Sarbajit Banerjee,* Shape-Controlled Synthesis of Well-Defined Matlockite LnOCl (Ln: La, Ce, Gd, Dy) Nanocrystals by a Novel Non-Hydrolytic Approach, Inorg. Chem. 2011, 50, 5539-5544.
- Luisa Whittaker, Tai-Lung Wu, Christopher J. Patridge, G. Sambandamurthy, and Sarbajit Banerjee,* Distinctive Finite Size Effects on the Phase Diagram and Metal—Insulator Transitions of Tungsten-Doped Vanadium(IV) Oxide, J. Mater. Chem. 2011, 21, 5580 – 5592 (also featured as the front cover of the Journal of Materials Chemistry).
- Luisa Whittaker, Christopher J. Patridge, and Sarbajit Banerjee,* Microscopic and Nanoscale Perspective of the Metal—Insulator Phase Transitions of VO2 : Some New Twists to an Old Tale, J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2011, 2, 745-758 (also featured as the front cover of the Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters).
- Christopher J. Patridge, Tai-Lung Wu, Cherno Jaye, Bruce Ravel, Esther S. Takeuchi, Daniel A. Fischer, G. Sambandamurthy,* and Sarbajit Banerjee,* Synthesis, Spectroscopic Characterization, and Observation of Massive Metal—Insulator Transitions in Nanowires of a Non-stoichiometric Vanadium Oxide Bronze. Nano Lett. 2010, 10, 2448-2453.
- Vincent Lee, Luisa Whittaker, Cherno Jaye, Kristen M. Baroudi, Daniel A. Fischer, and Sarbajit Banerjee,* Large-Area Chemically Modified Graphene Films: Electrophoretic Deposition and Characterization by Soft X-ray Absorption Spectroscopy. Chem. Mater. 2009, 29, 3905-3916.
- Luisa Whittaker, Cherno Jaye, Zugen Fu, Daniel A. Fischer, and Sarbajit Banerjee,* Depressed Phase Transition in Solution-Grown VO2 Nanostructures. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 8884-8894.Jesus M. Velazquez and Sarbajit Banerjee,* Catalytic Growth of Single-Crystalline V2O5 Nanowire Arrays. Small, 2009, 5, 1025-1029.
- Journal of Physical Chemistry C Lectureship Award (2013)
- Scialog Fellow, Research Corporation for Science Advancement (2013)
- TMS Young Leader Professional Development Award (2013)
- MIT Technology Review TR35 Award (Top 35 Young Innovators under the age of 35) (2012)
- State University of New York Visionary Innovator Award (2010)
- Cottrell Scholar Award, Research Corporation for Science Advancement (2010)
- ExxonMobil Solid State Chemistry Faculty Fellowship, American Chemical Society (2010)
- Areas of Interest Solid-State and Materials Chemistry Nanoscale Materials Electronic Structure, Chemical Imaging, and X-ray Spectroscopy Thin Films and Coatings Light Metals and Nanocomposites