Materials Science and Engineering
Dr. Sukhishvili came to Texas A&M in 2015 from the Stevens Institute of Technology where she received several awards including a Provost’s Entrepreneurship Award in 2013 and a National Science Foundation Special Creativity Award in 2012. She received her Ph.D. in polymer chemistry from Moscow State University in 1989. Her research interests include stimuli-responsive all-polymer and polymer nanocomposite assemblies for sensing, separation and biomedical applications; structure and dynamics of polyelectrolyte assemblies; materials with controllable optical, swelling and drug release responses; remote manipulation of material shape; smart antibacterial materials; surface modification for controlling wettability, adhesion and adsorption.
- Ph.D. in Polymer Chemistry, Moscow State University, Russia, 1989
- B.S. in Polymer Science with award for excellence, Moscow State University, Russia, 1984
Stimuli-responsive all-polymer and polymer nanocomposite assemblies for sensing, separation and biomedical applications
- Structure and dynamics of polyelectrolyte assemblies
- Materials with controllable optical, swelling and drug-release responses
- Remote manipulation of material shape
- Smart antibacterial materials
- Surface modification for controlling wettability, adhesion and adsorption
- . Zhuk, V. Selin, I. Zhuk, B. Belov, J.F. Ankner and S.A. Sukhishvili “Chain Conformation and Dynamics in Spin-Assisted Weak Polyelectrolyte Multilayers”, Langmuir 2015, 31, 3889–3896.
- Y. Lu, Y. Wu, J. Liang, M. R. Libera “Self-defensive Antibacterial Layer-by-Layer Hydrogel Coatings with pH-Triggered Hydrophobicity”, Biomaterials 2015, 45, 64-71.
- I. Zhuk, F. Jariwala, A.B. Attygalle, Y. Wu, M. Libera and S.A. Sukhishvili “Self-Defensive Layer-by-Layer Films with Bacteria-Triggered Antibiotic Release,” ACS Nano 2014, 8, 7733–7745 (featured in Science 2014, №6201, Vol. 345, 1133).
- Y. Lu, M. Sarshar, K. Du, T. Chou, Ch.-H. Choi, S.A. Sukhishvili “Large-Amplitude, Reversible, pH-Triggered Wetting Transitions Enabled by Layer-by-Layer Films”, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2013, 5, 12617–12623.
- L. Xu, V. Selin, A. Zhuk, J.F. Ankner, S.A. Sukhishvili “Molecular Weight Dependence of Polymer Chain Mobility within Multilayer Films”, ACS Macro Letters 2013, 2, 865-868.
- Zh. Zhu, N. Gao, H. Wang and S.A. Sukhishvili “Temperature-triggered On-demand Drug Release Enabled by Hydrogen-Bonded Multilayers of Block Copolymer Micelles”, J. Controlled Release 2013, 171, 73–80.
- P. Pinkhasova, T. Chou, B. Puccio, S. Sukhishvili, H. Du “Noble Metal Nanostructure as both SERS Nanotag and Analyte Probe”, ChemComm 2012, 48, 9750–9752.
- Zh. Zhu, E. Senses, P. Akcora and S.A. Sukhishvili “Programmable Light-Controlled Shape Changes in Layered Polymer Nanocomposites”, ACS Nano 2012, 6, 3152–3162.
- A. Zhuk, R. Mirza and S. Sukhishvili ”Multiresponsive Clay-Containing Layer-by-Layer Films,” ACS Nano 2011, 5, 8790–8799.
- Y. Han, S. Tan, M. K. Kh. Oo, D. Pristinski, S. Sukhishvili, and H. Du “Towards Full-Length Accumulative SERS-active Photonic Crystal Fiber”, Advanced Materials 2010, 22, 1-5.M. Erol, Y. Han, S. K. Stanley, Ch. M. Stafford, H. Du and S. Sukhishvili “SERS Not To Be Taken for Granted in the Presence of Oxygen”, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 7480–7481
- Provost’s Entrepreneurship Award, Stevens Institute of Technology, 2013
- NSF Special Creativity Award, 2012
- Davis Award for Research Excellence, Stevens Institute of Technology, 2011
- Award for Distinguished Scientific Achievement, American Coatings Association, IN, 2009
- Fellow, American Physical Society, 2007
- Research Recognition Award, Stevens Institute of Technology, 2004
- SOROS International Science Foundation Research Award, 1994 – 1995
- Editorial Advisory Board for Particle & Particle Systems Characterization and Macromolecules, 2012-present